Whitecaps CEO says club needs 'significant improvements' across revenue streams to stay in Vancouver

Whitecaps CEO says club needs 'significant improvements' across revenue streams to stay in Vancouver
Photo: Daniel Perianu
| Daniel Perianu

VANCOUVER — Whitecaps CEO Axel Schuster held a media roundtable on Wednesday to address growing fan concerns and speculation about the club’s long-term future in the city.

He thanked supporters for the strong backing shown through the #SaveTheCaps campaign and acknowledged the difficult period the club is navigating, then apologized for his limited media availability in recent weeks, explaining that the organization has been fully focused on working toward solutions.

Schuster repeatedly emphasized unity, stating there is “no you and we” between the club, ownership, and fans — “we are all in this together.”

He reminded the room that Greg Kerfoot, who has owned the club for more than 20 years, along with the rest of the ownership group, has invested hundreds of millions of dollars to save and sustain the Whitecaps. More than 18 months ago, that same group made the decision to seek a local successor to take the club forward.

Since then, more than 100 parties have expressed interest. Goldman Sachs managed the process, and over 30 groups signed non-disclosure agreements and conducted full due diligence by reviewing hundreds of documents in the data room. However, no viable offer has emerged that would keep the club in Vancouver under the current operating model.

In response to a question from Sitka Media about the ownership group’s relative public silence, Schuster defended their approach. He explained that the group has never been one to seek public credit or the spotlight, even during major successes such as the 2025 MLS Cup final appearance. “That’s not who they are,” he said, adding that he speaks on their behalf and that his messages reflect their views. Schuster noted that if there were a truly significant development, the ownership group would address it directly, but they prefer to let him handle public communications.

Schuster made clear that the club is not asking for donations or taxpayer funding. Instead, it is seeking “creative solutions” and “significant improvements” across all major revenue categories — matchday revenue, commercial sponsorships, and other sources — so the Whitecaps can compete on a more level playing field with other MLS clubs.

He reiterated several times that the club is “not negotiating in the public” and would not discuss specific demands or point fingers, saying he believes the best path forward is to focus on solutions rather than public negotiations.

On the league side, Schuster confirmed that MLS Executive Vice President Charles Altchek — the executive most familiar with the club’s situation — will visit Vancouver next week to continue discussions. He also noted that the club has held multiple meetings with the provincial government since MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s visit in November.

Schuster added that he meets regularly with local First Nations leadership and that those conversations have increased in recent weeks as part of broader efforts to explore every possible option.

Throughout the roundtable, Schuster stressed that BC Place remains the club’s first preference for a short-term bridge solution while longer-term options, including the Hastings Park MOU with the City of Vancouver, continue to be evaluated.

He closed by thanking the players, coaching staff, and entire organization for their strong performance on the field this season, noting that the team’s success and record attendance are important factors that strengthen the case for keeping the Whitecaps in Vancouver.

The media availability comes one week after Mayor Ken Sim publicly urged the club and the province to reach a deal to keep the team in the city ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup matches at BC Place.

Discussion

JOIN THE INNER CIRCLE

How should BC manage its old-growth forests to balance economy and ecology?

More to Explore